The Academy of Learning and Leadership
ALL is a “no excuses” experiential learning community educating urban young people for meaningful, productive, positive living.
We are uncompromisingly committed to build effective community so that, as models and guides, we animate students in becoming uncommon learners, workers, citizens, parents, creators, and leaders.
We hold sacred:
- the responsibilities adults have in the learning of children,
- the uniqueness of each individual in the learning process,
- the need for caring relationships in learning,
- the primacy of children's well being at all times,
- the human drive to make a contribution to the world.
We believe that:
- Safety, stability, order, and discipline are foundations for effective learning.
- Risk-taking and challenge are essential to deep learning,
- Experiential learning leads to rich “ah-ha” moments, deep understanding, retained learning.
- Interdisciplinary learning develops understanding of interdependence and connectedness.
- Creative inquiry and expression develop self-knowledge and active doers vs. passive receivers.
- Action with reflection, shared learning, and thoughtful feedback refine and embed learning.
- Dialogue is at the center of understanding. Understanding leads to learning, harmony, justice.
- Choice is essential to character and leadership development.
- Mentoring is the process through which expertise is born for both educators and students.
- Service to others creates the opportunity for developing new and expanded perspectives.